2009年4月26日星期日

Happy President's Day!

I don't have the day off exactly, I have done my normal Monday office work to cardboard boxes make halloween costumes easybe prepared for my customers this week. I need to make sure I have recipes, containers, grocery lists, labels and heating instructions before I go to the store and to the house.


I woke for good at 5:30 this morning. There was a cat fight on me about 4 or so. Bandera was under the covers with me, Cody was on top of the covers, there was growling, hissing, I encouraged all cats to leave me! I went back to sleep for a short time. I was in the office at 6:30, worked, talked to my sister for a while, have breakfast in the oven.


I'm still having the potato cravings so this morning I am trying a potato and bacon cake. It's in the oven, we'll see how it comes out. If it looks good, maybe there will be pictures.


Last night in an effort to move from the potatoes we had Sweet and Spicy Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and Spinach Salad. Both of the recipes came from The Food You Crave by Ellie Krieger which is a great cookbook, all of the recipes I've choose halloween mask to make the perfect halloween costumetried have been good. If you watch the Food Network she has a show called Healthy Appetite by Ellie Krieger.


Sweet and Spicy Grilled Cheese Sandwiches by Ellie Krieger


Ingredients





  • 2 teaspoons canola oil

  • 1 large red onion, finely diced

  • Salt

  • Freshly ground black pepper

  • 3 ounces sharp Cheddar, thinly sliced, divided

  • 8 slices whole-wheat bread

  • 3 ounces pepper Jack cheese, thinly sliced, divided

  • 1 large or 2 medium beefsteak or hothouse tomatoes, sliced

  • Cooking spray





Directions



  1. Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Lower heat to medium. Add onions and saute, stirring, until edges are browned, about 10 to 12 minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.

  2. Place 3/4-ounce Cheddar on 1 slice bread. Spread 1 tablespoon caramelized onions on top of cheese and top with 3/4-ounce pepper Jack. Top with 1 large or 2 medium slices tomato and other slice of bread. Repeat with 3 other sandwiches.

  3. Spray a nonstick skillet or griddle with cooking spray and heat until hot. Place sandwich on griddle and weigh down with a heavy skillet or plate. Lower heat to medium-low and grill until underside is a deep brown but not burnt and cheese is partially melted, about 5 to 6 minutes. Flip sandwich and grill other side, an additional 4 to 5 minutes. Slice in half and serve hot.


I only made two of the sandwiches and used a small skillet with a 28 ounce can of tomatoes for a weight. They looked golden brown and were very tasty. I've made the salad before and might have already posted the recipe, but I'll do it again here just in case.


Spinach Salad with Warm Bacon and Apple Cider Dressing by Ellie Krieger



Ingredients




  • 10 ounces pre-washed baby spinach

  • 2 slices bacon, finely chopped

  • 3 ounces Canadian bacon, finely chopped

  • 2 teaspoons olive oil

  • 1/2 red onion, sliced (about 1 cup)

  • 1 pound button mushrooms, coarsely chopped

  • 1 cup apple cider

  • indiana jones back again
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

  • Salt and pepper



Directions


Place spinach into a large bowl. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat for about 4 minutes, or until it is just crispy. Add Canadian bacon to the skillet and cook for 2 more minutes, stirring frequently. Remove meat from pan and place on a plate lined with paper towels. Drain any remaining fat from the skillet. Add olive oil and onions to the skillet and cook for about 2 minutes, or until onions soften slightly. Add mushrooms to the pan and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 more minutes. Put onions and mushrooms on top of the spinach. Add apple cider and vinegar to the skillet and turn the heat up to medium-high. Stir to scrape up any bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pan and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until cider is reduced to about 1/2 cup. Whisk in mustard, salt and pepper, to taste. Pour warm cider dressing over the mushrooms and spinach and toss until the vegetables are well coated. Sprinkle the bacon on top and serve.


I'm not sure what is up for after breakfast. I need to run out and get a couple things for client gifts for this week. I always like to leave a small treat when I cook.


I finished my quilt squares so my homework is done. One is almost perfect and two are okay. I did get better as I made them so progress is good. This week is our last type of square and then I guess we have borders, backing and assembly.






I have time now while breakfast is baking to zip through the shower and get a load of laundry in. I also better check my Fly Lady flight plan for today to see what the mission is.


Have a great President's Day!

没有评论:

发表评论